Of the many products from Google, AdSense remains one of the most popular among bloggers. Many consider it the best way to monetise a blog, and when it comes to effectiveness, ease of use and, the overall user experience, there’s none that compares to Google AdSense. AdSense allows a blogger to show contextual advertisements on a blog whereby the ads are rendered according to the content. This means, if the content is on electronic devices, the ads that are likely to show up are electronic goods from different merchants. AdSense also uses the cookie method and ads are thrown up based on the user’s search history and preferences. You earn money when people click these ads on your blog. As simple as that.
However, despite its obvious utility, using AdSense has its own hassles in that you have to decide where and what type of ad to put in your content every time you write a blog post. What if you could simply add a code only once which would automatically create ads on all your pages? What if that single code generates different types of ads as per the requirement automatically? Well, you can. Yes, you heard it right. You can automate your ads now to optimise them and give a good user experience to your visitors.
Google Auto ads
As part of Google’s endeavour to further improve on the already amazing AdSense, it launched AdSense Auto ads on 21st February 2018. This innovation from the AdSense team is all set to revolutionise the way you have been using AdSense ads on your blog as it automates all processes and allows you to focus only on content creation. You are going to be leaving everything to Google to make placement of ads on your behalf by using only a single code for the entire site, giving you the freedom to concentrate on your writing only. Yes, you need not place codes at different locations at different pages as Google Auto ads will be using machine learning to decide which type of ads to place on which location of your blog all without you having to do anything. Just place one piece of code only once to all your pages and watch how Google takes it from there.
Advantages of using Auto ads
Some advantages of Auto ads include:
- Potential to increase revenue – Auto ads are smart and will identify any available space to place new ads there. You do not have to do anything. This means the potential to earn good revenue increases.
- Good user experience – Auto ads show ads only when they are likely to perform better. This results in a good user experience.
- Easy to use – Auto ads simplify everything and all you do is place a code once and for all and the ads are generated in all pages across the site.
Setting up Auto ads
To set up Auto ads, go through the following steps:
1. Sign in to your AdSense account.
2. Click My ads in the left navigation panel.
3. Click Auto ads
4. Select “Choose your global settings” page, and select the ad types you want to show on your website. It’s easy.
5. Just switch the toggles on or off as required.
6. If you want AdSense to automatically add new ad types to be available (to your global settings) as soon as they are available, select “Automatically get new formats”.
8. Click set “Set up Auto ads”.
10. Paste the code between the <head> and </head> tags of your website.
11. Save your settings.
12. Your Auto Ads are on.
There are two ad groups in your global settings – (i) In-page ads (ii) Overlay ads. For the moment, the Overlay ads work only in mobiles.
WATCH THE COMPLETE WALKTHROUGH & SET-UP GUIDE BELOW:
What if you already have Google ads running on your site?
If you already have Google ads running on your site, there’s no need to remove them when you add Auto ads. Auto ads will override all other existing ads. So, whether you have ads running already or have a brand new website, the Auto ads will work perfectly fine on both. When you place the Auto ads code on your site, all your page level ads or overlay ads (Anchor or Vignette ads) are automatically migrated over to Auto ads.
About Advanced URL settings
There might come a time when you want to remove ads completely or show only a few ad types on specific pages. You can control this through the Advanced URL feature of Auto ads allows you to have different ad settings on different URLs (pages) of your site. You do this by creating URL groups and when you do that you can choose what you want to show on that specific page or pages. Remember, the Advanced URL settings will override your global settings on that particular page. For instance, if you do not wish to have In-article ads or Anchor ads on your homepage, you can create a URL group through the Advanced URL setting.
Ad units or Auto ads?
- Auto ads are completely automatic and Google chooses the most effective ad placements for your ads. On the other hand, Ad units are manual and you have full control over the placement of the ads. You can select the ads of your choice from a range of ad types and sizes and place them exactly where you want them to appear on your pages.
- In Auto ads, Google chooses ads that are likely to perform well (and provide good user experience). In Ad units, you are free to choose the ads of your choice or their placement.
- In Auto ads, once you place the code, you need not worry about your ads as they will be fully optimised to suit your content. But when you choose Ad units, there are rules about ad placements and you have to comply with the AdSense policies.
- Ad formats like Anchor or Vignettes are available in Auto ads whereas these ad types are not available when you opt for Ad units.
Despite the availability of many alternatives, Google AdSense remains the most popular tool for monetising blogs. With Auto ads, Google has taken the whole concept of advertisement and user experience a step further by these smart ads. As a blogger, it gives you the complete freedom to concentrate only on the most important thing at hand – that of creating valuable content for your audience. Leave the hassle of placing your ads on Google. With Auto ads, Google employs machine learning to make ad placement and monetisation decisions for you. It saves you time. And as a blogger, you know how crucial the element of time is for your business. Try Auto ads today for an amazing blogging experience.